What do the School Council do?
The School Council takes part in lots of activities including:
- Listening to the views and concerns of other pupils
- Representing these concerns to teachers, Miss Burden and other adults
- Coming up with ideas to help improve our school and make decisions
- Thinking of ways to contribute locally and globally
- Fundraise for charities that are important to us
- Hold meetings regularly throughout the year to discuss issues and opportunities
Who are our school councillors?
We have two councillor‛s for each year group from year 1 to year 6. Children who would like to run for School Council present their speeches to their class explaining:
- Why they would like to be a School Council member
- What issues they think are important
School councillors are then selected by a democratic vote by their year group.
Things we have done so far!
Children in KS1 and KS2 said they would like to have mirrors in the toilets. We spoke to Miss Leech about our ideas and looked for different types of mirrors in catalogues. The school councillor‛s agreed the style of mirrors for KS1 and KS2 and Mr Longdon has added them to out toilets!
Red Nose Day
We took part in a ‘Great Cake Bake Off‛ to raise money for Red Nose Day! Our local Sainsbury‛s in Cheadle helped us by donating all the cake ingredients and we made a cake for everyone in school to buy. We raised nearly £300 for Red Nose Day!!!!
The school councillor‛s reported that many children in our school would like school pets. This has been discussed at length and it was agreed we were to have chicks in an incubator to hatch in our school during the Spring term!! All children from Foundation Stage, KS1 and KS2 will be invited to look at the chicks and watch them hatch. An eggciting experience for all!!!
At Cheadle Primary School, we like to help others. During Christmas time, we have special wishing trees where pupils and adults make a special wish and donate money in a box to give to a chosen charity. The school councillor‛s help to decide which charity we would like to donate to each year. This year we chose to give to Children in Need.